Saturday, November 16, 2013

Interpreting Silence

This is where it all started in fifth grade:

"I finished my test and sat in the library while I waited for my brother to finish his. 

It was an exam day. 
I waited for the whole school.
Third to twelfth grade.

I marveled at the silence that surrounded me. 

I waited for the Goddess of Learning to descend and bless the tranquility.
I could almost see a chariot of light descend any moment now.
That moment was not to happen.

What descended was realization.

I realized this silence was not what seers and hermits sought to be enlightened.

This silence did not lift burdens off the mind.

This silence was born of the burdens that young minds bore.

This silence was born of fear.

What fruit could a tree bear that grew from the seed of fear.

There was no amazement of learning.

No joy of achievement.

Only the fear of not performing well enough for expectations.


It was the silence of childhoods silenced in the name of education."


My dad read the unsigned note two years later. 

He showed it to me.
He said I should learn from whoever wrote it.

I told him it was mine.


He went silent.

I tried to interpret his silence.

To this day I do not know if he approved that his child was not someone he couldn't be ashamed of.


I kept interpreting silence per my convenience...



to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment