Saturday, May 4, 2013

Hermit, Not Ascetic!

Semantics. 
Some would say.
What's the difference?

I say there is.

It took me all my life to realize I am one and not the other.
It took me all my life to realize it is not required to be one in order to be the other.

I am a Hermit.

I like to stay away in general.
Glorified introvert?
I like to say,"I respect personal space. 
Most of all, my own personal space.
I extend that courtesy to the second and third person."

I am not an Ascetic.

I follow my spiritual goals. Tenuously.

I do not deny anything in the process.

I do not deny responsibility.
I do not deny pleasure.
I do not deny myself.

Denial is voluntary ignorance.

How can there be spiritual growth where there is ignorance?
How can someone master something they never experienced?

Spirituality is not about denying that a vice exists. 

It is not about acknowledging a vice to condemn it.

Spirituality is about rising.

It is about acknowledging the vice and then rising above it. 

It is not about turning the other way.

It is not about crossing the street.
It is not about avoiding the temptation altogether.
Spirituality is about learning to stay strong in the face of it.

Hence, I say, I am not an ascetic. 

I can never be while I tread the path of spirituality.
I doubt you when you ask me to take the escapist route of being one.

I stay a hermit. 

Stand on the sidelines and experience by observing.
I am not attached to what I see but I am not closing my eyes.

I see.
I experience.
I learn.
I grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment